Cholera cases reduce in Eastern Province

The number of Cholera cases in Eastern Province has reduced from 20 yesterday to 16 as of today.

Provincial Permanent Secretary, Chanda Kasolo, says all patients admitted in quarantine hospitals in Chipata have been discharged.

He said this when he updated stakeholders on the Cholera outbreak in the province this morning.

Mr. Kasolo says after conducting samples, four were discovered that they did not have cholera.

He, however, says two suspected cases have been recorded in Vubwi district this morning, stating that the two are believed to have crossed from Malawi.

And Mr. Kasolo disclosed that there is a shortage of choline in the province.

He says the Muslim Association in Chipata has already made contacts with Trade Kings, the main manufacturers of chlorine, to secure enough chlorine for the province.

Mr. Kasolo says this is expected to be done as soon as possible.


Three families left homeless after heavy rains

Three families of Kaweni village in Chanjowe Ward of Chadiza district have been left homeless after heavy rains destroyed their houses on Sunday.

Chanjowe ward Councilor Acklas Mbewe confirmed the development to Breeze News in Chadiza.

Mr. Mbewe says that among the people is 79 years old Spesha Soko who suffered injuries on the forehead after being hit with a pan brick from the falling wall.

Fifty-eight years old Edward Soko also sustained injuries after the roof of his house was blown off by strong winds on Sunday afternoon.

He says that the duo was admitted at Chanjowe Rural Health center but has been discharged.

Mr. Mbewe says that he has already reported the matter to DMMU, Disaster Management and Mitigation Unit to assist the affected families.

He has also appealed to well-wishers to help the families rebuild their houses as they are currently squatting in their relatives’ homes.

MISA condemns attack on Feel Free radio by PF cadres

The Media Institute of Southern Africa MISA Zambia has strongly condemned the storming by Patriotic Front PF cadres at Feel Free FM Radio in Chipata in an effort to stop a paid for radio programme from airing.

The programme was featuring NDC, National Democratic Front official Samuel Lugomo Phiri on Thursday last week.

MISA Zambia Chairperson Hellen Mwale says MISA Zambia is concerned because these type of attacks show that some of the PF cadres think no one has the right to express their views about politics or national issues in the country except leaders from PF.

In a statement availed to Breeze News, Ms. Mwale says Zambia is constitutionally a multiparty democracy and Zambians regardless of political affiliation have the right to express themselves and have the right to freedom of Association.

She says that NDC members have the right to belong to the NDC and are entitled to express themselves on radio.

Ms. Mwale says the media has the right to feature such citizens as they are disseminating the right to freedom of expression in addition to playing their watchdog role.

Ms. Mwale says that it is a shame that some of these violent and non-democratic PF cadres can today carry out actions to prevent opposition political party politicians from expressing their views on radio stations when their Late founding Leader Michael Sata and many of its leaders can attest to suffering the same fate while in opposition.

She added that the PF leaders, while in opposition had difficulties to feature on various media in Zambia and they therefore pledged to respect both media freedom and freedom of expression in their manifesto.

She has urged PF cadres to desist from the trend as it is against the democratic principles and Law Zambians gave unto themselves through the Constitution.

And Ms. Mwale has urged the police to arrest and charge such cadres as this trend seems to be on the increase.

She states that Feel Free FM is the third station within a space of three months to have suffered from the attacks but to the contrary no cadres so far have been arrested.

She says the organisation is however grateful that Police in Chipata made at effort to go to the station to halt the situation.

Met predicts prolonged dry spell

The Meteorological Department says the dry spell being experienced in some parts of Eastern Province will continue until Monday next week.

Provincial Meteorological Officer, John Londolo says that this is due to tropical cyclone which is hovering over the Indian Ocean in west coast of Madagascar.

Mr. Londolo says that the cyclone is sucking up the moisture in the atmosphere around Eastern Province except for extreme areas of Lundazi and Chama districts.

Mr. Londolo says that this scenario is expected to continue until January 15, with central and southern parts of the province being the most affected.

He however, says that the lack of rains should not worry farmers as it will not affect the crop because the soil still has enough moisture due to the more than normal rainfall earlier experienced.

And Mr. Londolo says that the department does not expect any part of the province to experience flash floods but will continue to monitor the situation.

UPND backs removal of street vendors

The United Party for National Development UPND has backed government’s decision to remove all street vendors in view of the cholera outbreak.

Chairperson for Youth, Sport and Child Development Michael Chuzu says that this is the only way to assist eliminate the disease.

Mr. Chuzu says that UPND is in full support and called upon residents and all stakeholders to assist government fight cholera.

He says that people should disassociate politics from cholera because the disease affects everyone regardless of political affiliation.

Mr. Chuzu however, noted that the cholera situation could have been contained earlier if government had acted when UPND leader Hakainde Hichilema raised alarm about the need to put in preventative measures last year in September.