FODEP disappointed with courts’ decision to allow Dora Siliya and Maxwell Mwale re-contest their parliamentary seats.

The Foundation for Democratic Process, FODEP in Eastern Province has described the high court ruling in the Dora Siliya, Maxwell Mwale and Hastings Sililo case as unfair to the country.
FODEP Provincial Chairperson, Eunice Mwenge says that the decision by the court to allow the trio to re-contest their seats despite having lost their seats due to corrupt activities is encouraging corruption.
On Tuesday the Lusaka High Court quashed the decision of ECZ, the Electoral Commission of Zambia to bar the trio stating that the electoral body had no right to stop them from filing nominations.
High Court Judge Mungeni Mulenga in her ruling stated that a statement by judiciary public relations officer Terry Musonda and a letter by the acting registrar of the High Court Chilombo Phiri had no legal basis to stop the three from filing their nomination.
Meanwhile the National Restoration Party, NAREP has backed the decision by the court.
In a statement availed to Breeze News, NAREP, President Elias Chipimo says his party had already gone on record expressing concern at the attempt to prevent individuals from re-contesting their seats when the republican constitution clearly protects their rights to do so.
And the Movement for Multi-Party Democracy MMD has welcomed the courts’ decision to allow Dora Siliya, Maxwell Mwale and Hastings Sililo re-contest their parliamentary seats.
MMD Provincial Secretary, Samuel Lugomo Phiri says that the outcome of the court case was expected.
Mr. Phiri says that the MMD will now concentrate on returning their seats, stating that the former ruling party was already on the ground.
Meanwhile UPND, United Party for National Development candidate in the Malambo parliamentary by-election, Maxwell Mwale has expressed happiness over the outcome of the court case.
Mr. Mwale told Breeze News that the courts have shown fair justice by ruling in his favour.
He says that he will now meet the PF, Patriotic Front Party in the by-election.
On Tuesday PF Secretary General, Wynter Kabimba said that the ruling party would appeal against the high court’s decision to allow the three former MPs re-contest their seats.

Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.